Australian Formula 3 has always played a pivotal role in guiding talented young Australian drivers towards their ultimate motorsport goal, and internationally it has also been recognised as a key stepping stone to stardom – 21 of the past 25 Formula 1 World Champions all raced in F3.
Alumni of the Australian F3 Championship include Indycar Championship and Indy 500 winner Will Power, GP2 and Formula E race winner Mitch Evans, and a number of Supercar drivers.
McDonalds Gilmour Racing has played a big part in nurturing young talent in recent years, with their two recent drivers Callan Williams (2017 Champion) and Cameron Shields (2018 runner-up) currently racing in Europe and America chasing their respective Formula 1 and Indycar goals.
This year, team principal Errol Gilmour is fostering more young talent with Josh Buchan making the step up from Formula Ford. Josh has shown great speed in the first two rounds, running consistently in the top 3.
Two more young drivers have invested in their futures by purchasing their own Formula 3 machinery, Rielly Brook running a Mygale M07 in the Championship class and Ryan Astley a Dallara F304 in the National class.
Brook had a difficult debut round at Winton with car issues, but was on the pace in Round 2 at Morgan Park. Astley has also shown great promise, learning to drive a genuine “wings and slicks” car and proving to be very competitive in the National class.
At the top of the standings though, it’s one of the more experienced drivers showing the way; John Magro has won all six races so far.
A couple of other more senior drivers, Gerrit Ruff and Roman Krumins, are staging an exciting battle for honours in the National Class.
Points after Round 2 (outright)
- John Magro – 96
- Richard Peasey – 62
- Josh Buchan – 52
Points after Round 2 (national class)
- Gerrit Ruff – 81
- Roman Krumins – 63
- Andrew Roberts – 51
Formula 3 Round 3 entry list
5. Andrew Roberts – Abr Signs Roberts Academy DALLARA F304
6. Roman Krumins – Cosmetic Medical Centre DALLARA F307
8. John Magro – Magro Farming Co DALLARA F308/11
17. Joshua Buchan – Mcdonalds Toowoomba DALLARA F308/11
22. Gerrit Ruff – Hammersley Australia DALLARA F305
27. Shane Wilson – Wiltec Industries DALLARA F308/11
34. Rielly Brook – Sea-Trek Kck Lubricants MYGALE MO7
37. Richard Peasey – Mcdonalds Toowoomba DALLARA F307
81. Ross Mcalpine – MYGALE M11
99. Ryan Astley – 99 Motorsports DALLARA F204